Friday, July 1, 2011

My 30th Year - T-minus 83 Days

I'm sitting here on my couch on July 1st (aka Canada Day). It should have been a supremely relaxing day. I don't get very many opportunities to relax, at home, without having to get up early or go out in the evening or have to do SOMETHING for SOMEONE. And I did get a good night's sleep, I had a nice sleep-in, we had Eggs Benny for breakfast, and I lounged on the couch for a few hours. But then the whole thing went downhill. Without going into all the details, now I'm feeling stressed, chubby, and like a lazy blob.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have an endless ability to envision self-improvement but very little will to see it through. I realized that I have less than 90 days until I turn 29 and when I turn 29 I will be in my 30th year. I think the time has come to suck it up, buckle down, and make a little time for some badly needed changes.

My first act on this countdown to my 30th year was to cancel our cable and home phone. I only talk to my parents on the home phone (and screen telemarketers), and I've got free long distance to them on my cell phone, so it seemed a waste. The cable cancellation is partly a financial savings but also a lifestyle choice. The amount of time I spend sitting on my ass watching syndicated sitcoms I've seen a zillion times before is truly shocking. The number of things I could be doing instead is endless. So I've made a decision to cut the cord, literally, and try to make my TV viewing a little more intentional. Once I've paid the last bill, we'll get a big TV, an HDMI cable, and I'll start watching new shows through the internet.

I'm proud of myself, actually, because this is a big step for me. There are a lot more steps to take though, to improve my body, mind, spirit, and pocketbook. I'm trying not to set crazy goals, but I'm trying to have faith in my capacity for change.


No comments:

Post a Comment