Tuesday, January 10, 2012

No Resolve Means No Resolutions

I wear a lot of skirts and dresses this time of year, as they feel more forgiving, regardless of how they look.

I try not to make super strict food related resolutions in January for the simple fact that my house is filled with post-Christmas candy and treats. So I always tell myself I won't go on a diet until it's gone. Which is fine, but there's a lot of it, and I feel guilty eating it too quickly.

I've mostly just been trying not to worry about calorie counts and more about portion sizes and ingredients. I want to make things from scratch and cook with real ingredients. Sure, we had kind of a crazy sounding dinner last night (potato chowder and grilled pepper cheese sandwiches), but everything was made by me. The veggies were mostly organic and the bread came from a local bakery. I had a bowl of soup and a sandwich. For me, that's reasonable.

But the issue remains that the number on the scale is startlingly high. It's 3.5 pounds up from before the holidays and 18.5 pounds over my perfect weight (and that weight is still 5 pounds over my skinny weight where all anyone could do was tell me how terrible I looked). At this point, I'd be happy to be down 8.5 pounds. That would put me somewhere I could breath (and literally, in some of my pants). I don't want to care about pounds, but when the scale is high and your pants are tight, pounds are an easy way to track progress.

So without "dieting", I'm trying to loosen my pants. Stop eating when I'm full. Eat better food (less junk). Go to the gym more and harder. Keep moving. I'm not sure if I'll ever have the resolve to be skinny, but I'd like to think I can at least get back to where I was in the Fall. From there we make new goals. What else can you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment