1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Saw Super Secret Project through from beginning to (almost) end. Spoke at a conference. Wore a designer dress.
The more I think about it, 2011 wasn't really a year of new things, it was more a year of just trying to get by. And we did, but I'd like more from 2012.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
If I did make resolutions last year I didn't write them down, but it's fair to say I probably didn't keep them (and have thus blanked them out). I'm working on some more solid goals for 2012, but that will be a separate post.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Blessedly no, although a lot of people known to me.
5. What countries did you visit?
Just the good 'ol USA.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
An employed partner. Financial stability. A clear plan.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 29th. Otherwise, lots of great moments, especially traveling, but no one day above others.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Super Secret Project was a huge achievement, and I'm hoping more good will come of it. But being asked to speak at an industry conference was a close second. Oh, and getting rid of cable was huge.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I think I've not always been the partner that I could have been. I've also failed myself in terms of choosing short term indulgence over long term lifestyle changes.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
It barely qualifies, but I'm thinking the gigantic TV I just bought.
12. Where did most of your money go?
Rent. Starbucks. Food.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Traveling. My birthday. Christmas.
14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
'King of Anything' by Sara Bareilles. Particularly,
"All my life I've tried
To make everybody happy while I just hurt and hide
Waiting for someone to tell me it's my turn
And I did.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? I really don't know.
– thinner or fatter? I feel fatter anyways, although I may be the same.
– richer or poorer? I feel poorer, but I think it's probably the same.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I'd written more, read more, exercised more, and planned more.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I wish I'd worried less (and acted more) and sat around on my ass less.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
Like every year, with my family. Stockings, breakfast, wrapped presents, huge brunch with friends, and then lazing around.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Maybe UP ALL NIGHT or WHITNEY? I had a love/hate relationship with SHERLOCK.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
TRAIL OF THE SPELLMANS by Lisa Lutz (which is a cheat, because it's not out until February). All of Laurie R. King's Mary Russell books.
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
I just download bits and pieces, but I've been loving Sara Bareilles, P!nk, and Lady Gaga.
22. What were your favorite films of the year?
We barely saw anything, but MIDNIGHT IN PARIS and TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY were both excellent.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I had a celebratory day at work followed by an amazing homecooked dinner (there was a pasta course!). Then a party/karaoke the next night. I was 29.
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
D getting a permanent job.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
I spent 2011 feeling squished into things and out of sorts.
26. What kept you sane?
D (although he contributed to the insanity in equal parts), my family, my friends, sitcoms, books.
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
When it comes down to it, you have to look after yourself and hope that the rest falls into place.