Monday, May 3, 2010

Project Bananas: Week Seven: Don't Be a Couch Potato

So, I kind of forgot to tell you about Project Bananas: Week Six. It was pretty unremarkable though, and I think I'm going to put it in reserve for another week when I need an easy but life affirming project (it's a good one! You'll like it!).

But, for week seven, I'm back on track with both Project Bananas AND blogging about it. Project Bananas: Week Seven is to not be a couch potato (I couldn't think of anything cleverer to call it). My definition of couch potato is a little different though. I'm allowing myself to watch TV, but only if it's something I haven't seen before. This means yes to catching up on my shows on my PVR (Bones, NCIS, and The Mentalist) but no to watching Friends on TV (or even worse, DVD). What I'm hoping is that this will allow me to waste less time watching shows that I've seen before and more time doing stuff that I actually want to do.

Here's the thing. Watching Friends is my happy place. I've seen the episodes so many times that I can just rest, relax, and let the gentle humour wash over me. Of late, I've been pretty stressed out and have been allowing myself to spend more time than is strictly appropriate watching reruns. I have a lot of things I'd like to accomplish. I want to read more, write more, practice violin more, play wii more, and exercise more. I'm not sure watching reruns is 100% physically preventing me from not beaching myself on the couch like a whale, but I do think taking a break from reruns might make for some space in my brain.

So here goes. Monica, Chandler, Rachel, Ross, Phoebe, and Joey, I'll miss you. Until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment