Sunday, May 16, 2010

We Interupt this Banana for an Important Bulletin: Project Bittman

I did not come up with a new project last week, nor this week, but I swear I have a good excuse! I have undertaken a project rather larger in scale that has kind of been taking up my energy.

I read the book FOOD MATTERS by Mark Bittman and I was totally inspired. I've been really trying over the last six months or so to eat less processed food, and that's been reasonably successful. But Bittman takes it a step further with the idea that we should eat more vegetables, less meat, and be overall more conscious about where our food comes from. And of course, since I live for a project, I decided that I wanted to really make a change to the way we eat.

Over the last two weeks I've been trying to eat more fruits and vegetables and less meat and junk, sort of trying to ease into the whole thing. I realized that the only way this way of eating will be successful for D and I is if I really take the bull by the horns and get cooking (more than we already do). So this weekend I kicked it up a notch, and when we were at the market picked up some grains (farro and couscous), beans (red kidney and cranberry romano), and a bunch of vegetables.

I bought this amazing salad last week at one of those salad places where you can put virtually anything in a salad and I wanted to replicate it. I roasted red peppers and beets tonight, I'm going to slow roast some grape tomatoes, and I need to do something with zucchini. Now I can assemble salads or combine the veggies with couscous or beans for something totally delicious.

It's a small step, I think, to a way bigger change in attitude to eating and life but I'm excited to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment