Friday, March 19, 2010

Project Bananas: Week Two: Become Bestselling Novelist

To my mind, week one of Project Bananas, otherwise known as "Become Famous Blogger" was an unmitigated success. I missed one day for a pretty good reason and wrote one patheticly short post. But what I was hoping to prove to myself was that I could do something and stick to it, which I think I did pretty ably.

When it came to choosing the project for week two, I had to be discerning. I'm in Washington DC right now and so am filled with inspiration to do all sorts of crazy things. But when it came down to it, I had to choose something that I can achieve while being in DC (and away from home and my regular routine) for the next few days. So I decided that Project Bananas, Week Two will be "Become Famous Novelist".

I've always wanted to write and always been foiled by my complete inability to finish anything. Now that I work in publishing, I'm way more familiar with the pitfalls of getting a book published, not least of which is that the book is changing every single day. I feel a certain amount of pressure to submit a novel to an agent before the landscape of publishing changes completely. But I'm also not going to go forward with anything unless I think it's worth it.

Of course, before I can even think about submitting a novel to an agent, I need to actually finish the damn thing. So "Become Famous Novelist" will entail writing at least 500 words of the project I'm working on every day.

Today I'm pretending to be independently wealthy and the kind of person who can afford to sit at Starbucks all day writing. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment